May 12, 2017
CONTACT: Lindsey Wiles
MARIETTA – The City of Marietta will continue intersection improvements in the upcoming days and weeks, weather permitting, which will include the installation of Flashing Yellow Arrows at various intersections within the City.
The Flashing Yellow Arrow (FYA) will indicate when left turns are permitted after yielding to other traffic. When you are turning left and see a FYA, the traffic coming towards you has a green light and pedestrians may have a “WALK” signal.
You must YIELD to these potential conflicts:
• Oncoming through traffic & bicyclists
• Oncoming right turn traffic
• Pedestrians in the crosswalk
The Federal Highway Administration has found that up to 20% fewer crashes occur with FYA than the traditional signal. Drivers have less confusion and make fewer mistakes when turning with FYA. Additionally, traffic delays are reduced and engineers are able to adjust for varying traffic volumes throughout the day to save you time and fuel.
Over the next few months, weather permitting, the Flashing Yellow Arrows will be installed at the following intersections as well:
- Fairground St. and Washington
- Fairground St. and Lawrence St.
- Whitlock Ave and Manning West
- Whitlock Ave and Burnt Hickory Rd
- Whitlock Ave and Manning East
- Whitlock Ave and Kirkpatrick Dr.