June 16, 2021
CONTACT: Lindsey Wiles
MAREITTA - With July 4th celebrations quickly approaching, the Marietta Fire Department would like to remind its citizens of the state laws relating to fireworks.
Use and Handling Consumer Fireworks
Under Georgia law, it is lawful for any person 18 years of age or older to use or ignite or cause to be ignited or to possess, manufacture, transport, or store consumer fireworks.
While under the influence of alcohol or any drug or any combination of alcohol and any drug, firework use in prohibited.
What Days & Times?
- On any day beginning at 10:00 A.M. then up to and including the ending time of 11:59 P.M.
- On January 1 of each year beginning at 12:00 Midnight then up to and including the ending time of 1:00 A.M.
What Locations Are Prohibited?
- Fireworks cannot be ignited from the roadway or any public rights of way
- Fireworks cannot be used in any park, historic sites, recreational areas, or any other property owned by or operated by, for, or under the custody of a governing authority of a county or municipality, except pursuant to a special use permit
- Firework use is prohibited within 100 yards of a hospital, nursing home, or other health facility regulated under Chapter 7 of Title 31 of Georgia Code.
- Firework use is prohibited within 100 yards of the following.
- Any public or private electric substation.
- Electric Plant
- Facility engaged in the production, refining, processing, or blending of any flammable or combustible liquids or gases.
- Facility engaged in the retail sale of gasoline or other flammable or combustible liquids or gases where the volume stored is in excess of 500 gallons.
- Waste-Water Treatment Plant
- Water Treatment Plant
- View the State Fire Marshal's Bulletin regarding public displays
- Any exhibition/display, other than personal use on private property, contracted or advertised shall constitute a public display, and is subject to the above bulletin from the State Fire Marshal's Office
- Public exhibitions/displays of fireworks require a permit from the Cobb Probate Court
What About a Noise Ordinance?
- Marietta Code 10-6-050(H):
- From 11:00 P.M. until 7:00 A.M. - Residential, commercial or business, public space, institutional, or noise sensitive facility
- 75 dBA measured from the complainant's property line