June 9, 2020
CONTACT: Trevor Beemon
MARIETTA - Cobb Landmarks, which owns and operates the c. 1845 William Root House as a historic house museum, has announced that the museum will once again welcome visitors. The museum had been closed since March as a public health precaution in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemic. Closing the museum and the gift shop and cancelling scheduled group tours meant a loss of critically important revenue for the nonprofit organization. Now, the organization hopes that new social distancing protocols will help guests feel safe during their visit.
"The William Root House Museum & Garden has reopened with regular hours and new social distancing protocols for our staff and museum guests. While our hands-on components are temporarily closed, our exhibits, gardens, and gift shop are all open," said Trevor Beemon, Executive Director of Cobb Landmarks.
When guests arrive, they will begin by checking in at the Root House Museum Visitor Center located inside the refurbished 1830s Manning Family Cabin. Credit card payment is encouraged as a touchless payment option. Upon checking in, each museum guest will be given a stylus pen. The stylus pen should be used to operate the interactive touchscreens located throughout the museum. The interactive touchscreen displays and comprehensive exhibits have been designed to allow self-guided discovery based on your personal interests. Guests will be free to explore the museum campus at their own leisure, however, guests should practice social distancing and leave plenty of space for entering and exiting exhibit spaces. No more than ten guests will be permitted in the museum at one time. Stylus pens should be returned to the Visitor Center for sanitizing at the end of your visit.
ABOUT THE WILLIAM ROOT HOUSE MUSEUM & GARDEN: Owned and operated by Cobb Landmarks & Historical Society, the William Root House is one of the oldest homes in the Atlanta area. Museum guests can use interactive touchscreens to learn about life for this middle class family and their enslaved house workers. Home to the Root family from 1845 to 1886, the house and property have been meticulously restored to their c. 1860 appearance.