Organizers for Hearts for Heroes, an annual benefit for the Marietta Museum of History and its Aviation Wing, thanked Marietta firefighter Khanxay Souphom for his service to the city and the U.S. March 1.
"We are privileged to have employees like firefighter Khan," mayor Steve Tumlin said.
"This young man is what a true soldier and firefighter looks like," fire chief Jackie Gibbs said. 'He is mission driven and is a 'just the facts ma'am' kind of guy."
Souphom's fire department service
Marietta Fire Department
- Joined in January 2006
- During tenure has been a member of Wild Land Firefighting and Technical Rescue teams
- Worked with new recruits to make them firefighters
- Helped organize team-building events including Georgia Fit to Fight Relay
- One of first firefighters to complete required training for Firefighter II
- Plans to attend paramedic classes, which he hopes will help him complete next goal of becoming Firefighter Engineer
- Joined Auburn Fire Department while attending Auburn University in June 1999
- As Fire Instructor, he trained new recruits
- Also member of Christian Firefighters Association
Lee County, Ala.
- Joined Southwest Volunteer Fire Department in 1999
Souphom's military service
U.S. Marine Corps
- Enlisted in November 1993
- Completed four years active duty as supply and logistics clerk at Camp Lejeune, N.C., with 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion
Marine Corps Reserve
- Joined in February 1998
- Completed 10 years as infantryman
- Was deployed to Iraq for Operation Iraqi Freedom from January 2003-December 2003
- Was Infantry Platoon Sergeant with 3rd Battalion, 23rd Marine Regiment during initial invasion
Georgia National Guard
- Joined in August 2009
- Became officer with 221st Military Intelligence Battalion
- Deployed to Afghanistan for Operation Enduring Freedom from January 2012-December 2012
- Served as Signal Intelligence Platoon Leader in charge of collecting information in Regional Command East
- Unit collected, analyzed and passed information about area and people within operational area to Division Command and Brigade Combat Teams
- 17 years of service, currently 1st Lieutenant
More info: Marietta Fire Department, 770-794-5466