Pre-BLW 1800s | 1900-1939 | 1940-1969 | 1970-1999 | 2000-Present
Kerosene lights in Marietta (Ref. Kim Holland)
Contract closed for electric lights in Marietta (Ref. The Marietta Daily Journal, March 28, 1889)
Electric lights turned on (Ref. p. 449, Social Life 1868-1900) return
Water pumped into town; Roswell Street standpipe erected (Ref. p. 449, Social Life 1868-1900) An ample supply of water was a "long needed want." (Ref. p. 5, The First Marietta Waterworks)
"We expect to see it prove a good thing for out town in inducing people to buy and own property here and make this place their home." (Ref. MDJ April 9, 1896)
Marietta's first waterworks started as a project of the Marietta Paper Manufacturing Company shortly after it moved downtown. In early 1896, Paper Co. built stone dam, reservoir and pumping house [on Rottenwood Creek--current Life College property]. System pumped water through a 10-inch pipe to a 50-foot standpipe on a hill adjacent to National Cemetery near Roswell Street. Standpipe held 350,000 gallons of water (Ref. p. 186, Cobb County, GA and Origins of the Suburban South - A Twentieth Century History) return
Late 1890s - A few years later, all Marietta Paper Manufacturing Company property was sold to a group of Marietta and Atlanta businessmen, including prominent Atlantans Ernest Woodruff, Hugh T. Inman and Mariettans Moultrie and George Sessions, Robert H. Northcutt and James T. Anderson, operating as the Georgia Manufacturing and Public Service Company. (Ref. p. 186, Cobb County, GA and Origins of the Suburban South - A Twentieth Century History) return
Marietta Board of Lights and Waterworks created as a body corporate (incorporated) to own and administer the water and electric utilities; Robert W. Boone, John Awtrey and S.D. Rambo were appointed as water commissioners for the next eight years with successors elected by Mayor and City Council for four-year terms. (Ref. No. 500 of the Acts of the General Assembly of the state of Georgia, 1906; GA Legislative Docs. p. 846-848; Ordinances of the city of Marietta, p. 61) return
Bonds defeated (Ref. Marietta Journal and Courier)
First BLW board of directors were Sam D. Rambo, chair; S.K. Dick, vice chair; J.M. Fowler, treasurer; T.A. Gramling, and mayor E.P. Dobbs (Ref. MDJ Feb. 28, 2006); Bonds issued in a sum not to exceed $80,000.
Council consisted of mayor E.P. Dobbs, J.W. Hardeman, C.A. Guyton, J.M. Fowler, S.A. Garwood, W.D. Brown and N.M. Mayes. (Ref. MDJ Feb. 28, 2006) return
Citizens voted for bonds for to install a modern system of waterworks and sewage (Ref. p. 476 The First Hundred Years) return
- BLW granted charge of the system of sewerage created under the acts of 1905 (Ref. Page 1099 GA Legislative Docs, No. 169, City Charter Amendment) return
First meeting of Board of Lights and Waterworks (Ref. p. 476 The First Hundred Years) return
Judge Morris signs order allowing work to proceed on building waterworks though several new suits have been filed: one to forfeit franchise, one to stop payments to Trust Company and one to stop Paper Mill. (Ref. The Marietta Journal and Courier, Jan. 14, 1910) return
Well system to supply water for city (Ref. Marietta Journal and Courier) return
State legislature act 407 authorized city to hold an election to give the Waterworks and Lights eminent domain (Ref. City Clerk data p. 8; ordinances of the city of Marietta, No. 407, p. 67) return
Water board's statement to the public of negotiation with paper company (Ref. Marietta Journal and Courier) return
New waterworks system went into operation on Sessions Street; well-known Marietta citizen T.A. Gramling was chairman of the Board of Lights and Water during this time; [Nolan building on Church Street was the office of the water board (Ref. Marietta Journal and Courier)] See Vol. 44 MJ return
City Council adopted rules in regard to water service (Ref. regular monthly meeting minutes of mayor and council held Nov. 7, 1910) return
Water will be turned on (Ref. Marietta Journal and Courier) return
Dr. S.D. Rambo was the first citizen to connect with the new waterworks, followed in rapid succession by Joe Black, Judge Morris and H.N. DuPre. "Up to date about 50 applications for water have been filed, and the taps are being made as rapidly as possible. The people seem anxious to get the artesian water, and it is expect that in a short while practically the entire city will be using it." "It has been found that the stand-pipe pressure at the Square is 62 pounds which will put water on the roof of any building in the city." (Ref. Marietta Journal and Courier, Friday, Nov. 25, 1910 return
Mayor and Council enforce sewer connections (Ref. Marietta Journal and Courier) return
"We made 24 new water connections during the month and did several jobs for private parties, the principal one being for the Brumby Chair Company." (Ref. Light Plant Report, p. 10) return
Installation of better street lighting system, particularly around the square, proudly referred to as the "white-way lights." Gem City Band played "Dixie" and the MDJ remarked "The light is soft as moon beams and restful as music that brings sweet sleep from the blissful skies." (Ref. First Hundred Years 1900-1934, p. 476)
Square lights powered steam plant to generate power - possibly at Sessions Street. (Ref. Marietta Journal and Courier) return
City found electricity cheaper to buy than to create - Tallulah Falls (Ref. Marietta Journal and Courier) return
1923 - Eleven wells: Winn Street, Page Street, Sessions, Street, Wright Street and three at Sessions Street (Ref Cobb Library, Georgia Room, Reference G975.8245 with Marietta Waterworks) return
1929 - Marietta Board of Education received part of city's income from water, lights and power rates (Ref. No. 33 ordinances of the city of Marietta; GA legislative docs approved July 22, 1929, p. 1194) return
1941 - Allatoona Lake Reservoir Project was authorized by the Flood Control Act of 1941 (Ref. Water Resources Development by the US Army Corps of Engineers in Georgia, 1975) return
1942 - Arrival of Bell Aircraft Co. led to dramatic infrastructure improvements (Ref. Cobb County, Georgia and the Origins of the Suburban South, p. 187); US Corps of Engineers laid 20-inch permanent main from Atlanta for Bell's exclusive use--first in the area constructed of steel rather than cast iron. return
1943 - Marietta BLW expands water system around Bell Bomber plant (Ref. Kim Holland) return
1944 - Construction of the Allatoona Lake Reservoir Project, a multi-purpose project for flood control, generation of hydroelectric power, streamflow regulation and other purposes, got underway. (Ref. Water Resources Development by the US Army Corps of Engineers in Georgia, 1975) return
1950 - Allatoona Lake Reservoir Project placed in operation (Ref. Water Resources Development by the US Army Corps of Engineers in Georgia, 1975) See picture (pg 19) return
Marietta BLW signs agreement with newly formed Cobb County-Marietta Water Authority to begin buying water from them in order to provide larger supply (Ref. signed contract agreement April 2, 1952) return
1954 -There were 28 identified city wells (Ref. Marietta Water Wells - 1954) return
1955 - Allatoona Lake Reservoir Project completed (Ref. Water Resources Development by the US Army Corps of Engineers in Georgia, 1975) return
1960 - Two 500,000-gallon water storage tanks put into service for water supply to the Marietta service area. One tank located at high-elevation point adjacent to Kennestone Hospital and named Sugar Hill; second tank located adjacent to the Marietta Country Club and appropriately named Redwood as access comes from Redwood Drive in Whitlock Heights.
1965 - Marietta BLW using both wells throughout the city and water from Lake Allatoona [supplied by Cobb County-Marietta Water Authority (CCMWA)] to distribute to customers (Ref. Kim Holland) return
Cobb County begins treating Marietta BLW's sanitary sewer so that Marietta can comply with new Clean Water Act regulations on sanitary sewer treatment processes (Ref. MDJ Jan. 21, 1971) return
State of Georgia Department of Natural Resources Environmental Protection Division issued permit to the Marietta Board of Lights and Water to operate a public water system in compliance with the provisions of the Georgia Safe Drinking Water Act of 1977; city of Marietta Water Authority water tanks included Blackjack Mountain, Pine Mountain, Fort Hill, Campbell Hill, Redwood Tank and Sessions Street (Ref. State of Georgia DNR, EPD Permit No. 1033A0004) return
William T. Berry III hired as first Marietta Board of Lights and Waterworks utility manager.
Marietta BLW amends charter to include FiberNet into corporation (Ref Kim Holland) return
Groundbreaking for new BLW headquarters to consolidate all utility services in one central location; mayor Ansley Meaders and BLW board vice chair Harry Livingston were on hand for ceremony (Ref. MDJ July 30, 1996) return
Opening of new BLW facility at 675 North Marietta Pkwy.; BLW manager at time was Jim Hanson; facility to efficiently house Marietta Power, Marietta Water and FiberNet (Ref AJC June 5, 1997) return
50-year contract approved for second exclusive Water Supply Contract with Cobb County-Marietta Water Authority. return
50-year service area boundary and wastewater treatment agreement renewed with the Cobb County Water System. return
Marietta BLW sells FiberNet portion of corporation to American Fiber Systems (Ref BLW records) return
2006 - MARIETTA POWER & WATER CELEBRATES 100 YEARS OF SERVICE
Time capsule buried during anniversary celebrations. Capsule to be opened in 2056 and includes variety of historical items.
Street at BLW named in honor of Harry Livingston, a long-time member of the utility's board, Marietta native, former citizen of the year, and board member for the Municipal Electric Authority of Georgia. A pilot during World War II, Livingston, who was a POW after his plane was shot down by enemy forces near Berlin, Germany, was a decorated war veteran.
Implemented automated meter reading (AMR) for all residential electric customers. return
City of Marietta/BLW hosted American Public Power Association’s (APPA) 7th Annual Lineworkers’ Rodeo at Laurel Park in Marietta, marking first time event held in Georgia. Rodeo included 59 teams and 70 apprentices from not-for-profit, community-owned electric utilities across the nation. Both Marietta Power and the Orlando Utilities Commission received perfect scores.
Marietta Water named Best Water Distribution System in the State by the GA Association of Water Professionals (GAWP) for cities in the 10,000 – 50,000 population group. return
2008 - City Drought Management Plan implemented
Signed 20-year contract for 52 megawatts of natural gas peaking generation to assure adequate (electric generation) capacity for customers until mid-2020s.
City/BLW approved a $405 million investment over next 40 years for an expansion of the Plant Vogtle Nuclear Power Plant to provide cleaner energy and base power for decades to come. We will own 64 megawatts of power each year that is generated by the new reactors.
Completed 2 major SPLOST/ road projects requiring electrical construction: Tower Road at cost of $2.7M and Roswell Street [Marietta Square to Cobb Parkway (Hwy 41)] at cost of $6.2M. Both projects will ensure reliability of electric service to WellStar Kennestone Hospital.
New power substation completed to provide electric service to Roswell Street, new Cobb County Courthouse and as backup for WellStar Kennestone Hospital at cost of $1.8M; Upgraded 3 major substations Nos. 3, 8 and 9 to improve system reliability at cost of $1.65M.
New decorative lights installed at Glover Park/ Marietta Square at cost of $250,000.
Implemented partnership with ProCore Solutions to provide for 24-hour customer service.
Marietta Water selected by GA Association of Water Professionals (GAWP) as Wastewater Collections System of the Year for cities with population of 50,000 – 100,000. return
Hometown Connections, a subsidiary of the American Public Power Association, conducted utility check-up of Marietta Power and Water and reported that “overall Marietta Power is a well-run utility” and “has successfully leveraged its larger size to bring strong service, customer care and programming, while avoiding the pitfalls inherent with a larger organization.” A number of recommendations made to keep our organization current and prepared to meet future challenges have already been addressed.
Alliance begun with Gas South to provide natural gas services for interested BLW customers.
Completed $18.8M in capital projects (Capital Investments) for electric, water and sewer infrastructure including: relocation of electric underground facilities on Powder Springs Road; re-conductoring of 13 miles of primary underground electric cable; Water main replacements on Seminole, Shillingford, Monticello, Tom Read & Wright Streets; Noses Basin sewer rehabilitation.
Georgia EPD inspection (environmental protection & conservation) of Marietta Water affirms 100% compliance with policies, procedures, requirements, and standards of the Georgia Safe Drinking Water Act and Georgia Rules for Safe Drinking Water, Chapter 391-3-5. return
Completed $19.93M in capital projects (Capital Investments) for electric, water and sewer infrastructure including: Kennesaw Avenue electrical upgrades; start of relocation of underground electrical facilities on Franklin Road from South Loop; Sanitary sewer rehab in redevelopment areas; Water system improvements on Freyer, Chicasaw & Amy Drives.
Marietta Power became the 1st in Georgia and one of 154 of the Nation’s more than 2,000 public power utilities to earn Reliable Public Power Provider (RP3®) recognition from the American Public Power Association for providing consumers with the highest degree of reliable and safe electric service. Our Platinum level designation represents a high level of service to communities all over the country. Utilities who achieve such national, two-year, RP3 recognition stand out as models of safe and reliable utility operations. Designation valid thru April 2012.
Marietta Water selected by the GA Association of Water Professionals (GAWP) as Wastewater Collections System of the Year for cities with population of 50,000 – 100,000.
Marietta Water selected by GAWP as Best Water Distribution System in the State of Georgia for cities in the 10,000 – 50,000 customer group—previously attaining this distinction in 2001, 2005 & 2007 as well.
Implemented Save-a-Watt energy program to encourage city schools to conserve energy. return
Completed $12.3M in capital projects (Capital Investments) for electric, water and sewer infrastructure including: SPLOST relocation of electrical facilities on Fairground Street; SPLOST relocation of main electrical feeders on Franklin Road; Kennesaw Avenue water service reliability improvements; Sewer system rehabilitation on Chicopee, Freyer & Parkview. return
Completed $11M in capital projects (Capital Investments) for electric, water and sewer infrastructure including: completion of primary ring of fiber optic SCADA network; replacement of 3 large underground electrical transformers at Cobb County Courthouse; Water system improvements Austin Avenue, Dean & Hazelwood Circles; Water main replacements on Fairground Street & in Tower Road area due to road improvements.
Developed Distribution Automation strategic plan goals & objectives.
Marietta Power attained re-certification as Reliable Public Power Provider (RP3®), at the Platinum level, by the American Public Power Association. Designation valid thru April 2014. return
Marietta Water selected by the GA Association of Water Professionals (GAWP) as Wastewater Collections System of the Year for cities with population of 50,000 – 100,000.
Marietta Water selected by GAWP as Best Water Distribution System in the State of Georgia for cities in the 10,000 – 50,000 customer group.
Completed $10.6M in capital projects (Capital Investments) for electric, water and sewer infrastructure including: complete renovation of Power Control/ Dispatch Center; completion of remaining facet of outer ring of fiber optic SCADA network; US 41 Water main replacement due to road improvements; Sanitary sewer work on high priority sewer pipes. return
City of Marietta issued a PERMIT TO OPERATE A PUBLIC COMMUNITY WATER SYSTEM named Marietta Board of Lights and Water and located at Marietta, Georgia in accordance with the provisions of the SAFE DRINKING WATER ACT of 1977, O.C.G.A. 12-5-170 et. seq., and the RULES, CHAPTER 391-3-5, adopted pursuant to the ACT. The Permit shall expire, absent any prior revocation or modification, at midnight March 13, 2024.
Marietta Power certified as Reliable Public Power Provider (RP3®), at the Diamond (highest) level, by the American Public Power Association for providing consumers with the highest degree of reliable and safe electric service.
Completed $10.1M in capital projects (Capital Investments) for electric, water and sewer infrastructure including: completion of electrical for Alexander Street SPLOST project; replacement of 6.5 miles of electrical underground primary and 1.5 miles of secondary cable; Water system improvements in Kirkpatrick Drive area to ensure quality; Sanitary sewer improvements for high priority sewer pipes.
Marietta Water selected by the GA Association of Water Professionals (GAWP) as Wastewater Collections System of the Year for cities with population of 50,000 – 100,000. return