Home Safety Checklist
- Fire Extinguishers
- Flammable & Hazardous Material
- Heating Equipment & Fireplace
- Home Escape Plan
- Smoke Detectors
- Smoking Materials & Candles
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- To avoid burn injuries, cuff your long sleeves and rotate pots so that the handles face inward.
- Never store combustibles in your oven or on top of your stove.
- When barbecuing, move the grill away from your house.
- Dispose of coals and ashes in metal containers.
- Avoid overloading electrical circuits.
- Inspect electrical cords and appliances for damages.
- Do not tack cords to the wall or run them under rugs.
- Maintain air space around electrical equipment such as TVs, stereos, and toaster ovens.
- Use only a qualified electrician to perform upgrades and repairs in your home.
- Use extension cords that have a built-in circuit breaker.
- Be sure that your house number is visible from the street.
- Trim trees away from electrical wires and chimneys.
- Remove all pine needles and leaves from your roof, eaves, and rain gutters.
Fire Extinguishers Checklist
- Purchase a multi-purpose ABC extinguisher.
- Use the PASS acronym to teach your family how to operate an extinguisher:
- Pull the Pin
- Aim the Nozzle at the Base of the Fire
- Squeeze the Trigger
- Inspect your extinguishers annually.
Flammable Liquids & Hazardous Materials Checklist
- Limit the amount of chemicals in your home.
- Dispose of or recycle household hazardous materials properly.
- Store hazardous materials in the proper containers with correct identification labels and away from heat sources.
- Allow for proper ventilation when using flammable liquids.
- Put oily rags in metal containers with tight-fitting lids, not in a pile where they can spontaneously ignite.
Heating Equipment & Fireplace Checklist
- Keep heaters at least 3 feet from all combustible materials.
- Replace furnace filters once a month.
- Clean lint from behind your clothes dryer.
- Install a spark screen in front of your fireplace.
- Install a spark arrester on your chimney.
- Have your chimney cleaned and inspected once a year.
- Dispose of ashes in metal containers.
- Keep newspapers and clutter away from your water heater.
Develop & Practice a Home Escape Plan
Develop a home escape plan. Be sure to do include the following.
- Include crawling low under smoke (you can use sheets to simulate smoke).
- Identify two exits out of every room.
- Identify a meeting place outside your home.
- Practice your escape plan with every household member.
Teach all family members how to:
- Dial 9-1-1. Clarify its use for your children.
- Stop, drop, and roll. Remind them to use their hands to cover their face as they perform this maneuver.
Smoke Detectors Checklist
- Install smoke detectors outside of every sleeping area and on every level of your home.
- Test smoke alarms once a month.
- Replace smoke detector batteries twice a year-use Daylight Savings Time as a reminder.
- Replace your detectors every 10 years.
Smoking Materials & Candles Checklist
- Never leave cigarettes or candles unattended.
- Purchase and use ashtrays that have the center support feature.
- Empty ashtrays into noncombustible containers only.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Place candles in noncombustible, sturdy holders.
- Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.